Friday, August 1, 2014

My Thinking Cap: The Story of Judith Pearl and Her Many Questions


Thinking cap, thinking cap, what are you thinking?

I hope my brain is growing, and my thoughts aren’t shrinking.

My genius dad told me you’d answer all my questions.

If I put you on my head, could you make some suggestions?

My father is a scientist who has so many quirks.

I’m plugging in my thinking cap and hoping that it works.

Now I’m looking at the light bulb attached to the hat.

I suppose it blinks and glows when the answer is pat.

Maybe you could zap me with a thought or two.

Or give me an idea or a hope that’s new.

My name is Judith Pearl, and I’m only 12 years old.

I don’t mean to be pushy, but now I must be bold.

Why does the sun rise so early at the dawn?

Then by the evening time, the yellow ball is gone.

Why is the sky blue and the clouds are fluffy white? 

Why do the stars light up the darkness in the night?

And what magic power holds the moon in the sky?

It seems like a big question. I thought you might know why.

Why does the ocean wrap right around the earth?

Who helps the baby whales when their moms give birth?

How do the waves find their way back to the shore?

Is a sand dollar worth a dollar or is it worth much more?

How does a cocoon become a butterfly with wings?

And why do we need so many creepy, crawly things?

Who made the elephants have such a curly snout?

I’d really like to know what that is all about.

And who made the grass and the trees so green?

If you look at the forests, you’ll see what I mean.

And when you find the answers, tell me right away.

I have so many questions that we’ll be here all day.

Sorry if my patience is running sort of thin.

I have another question about my human skin.

Why are my eyes brown instead of green or blue?

Why is my hair color blond? Who picked that certain hue?

Who put a button in the middle of my belly?

Why do my feet and my toes always get smelly?

What does it mean when someone pulls your leg?

Please answer my question, and don’t make me beg.

Why do I have five fingers instead of three?

And why, when I fall, do I always scrape my knee?

Could I invent a potion, so no one ever bleeds?

It seems like one of the world’s largest, biggest needs.

Someone designed airplanes to soar throughout the air.

Did an eagle think of that? It seems sort of rare. 

Now onto urgent things like bombs and tanks.

When soldiers shoot bullets, why do we give thanks?

Who made the wars? And who made the guns?

Why would someone shoot their daughters and their sons?

Why doesn’t everyone have enough to eat? 

It seems like a question that I should now repeat.

Who made disease, and how can you get well? 

If you could please explain, I have some friends to tell.

Why are some people lonely without friends?

It seems like everyone should want to make amends.

Now I’m looking at my watch, and time is ticking past. 

How long do you think my heartbeat will last?

And where will I go when my time is through?

And how will I know what you’re telling me is true?

What about the things that our eyes just never see?

You can only feel it like wind that’s blowin’ free.

Can you tell the future and what tomorrow holds?

Can you change the days gone by and how your life unfolds?

I’m ready with my pen and my paper to take some notes.

I’m extra-extra good at getting phrases into quotes.

So, I’m sure you have all this and more figured out. 

It’s why the thinking cap is blinking. I don’t have a doubt.

But what does the blinking mean? Maybe it’s a code,

Like a poem or a song, a super fancy type of ode. 

And who made the music notes always sound in tune?

Rhythm is a mystery that I’m hoping you solve soon.

And why does one plus one always equal two?

It seems like notes and numbers must be in review.

Oh, now the cap is smoking, and my head is getting hot.

I wonder what that means. This is harder than I thought.

Who made fire and why does it need to burn?

It seems like there’s always more and more to learn.

All of a sudden, I have twenty more tough queries.

At this rate, I’ll have my own question series. 

Now I have a question every second in my head.

I’ll never sleep at night, only toss, and turn in bed.

What about the answers you said that you would bring?

Like how does winter turn into summertime and spring? 

Who made the snowflakes in all their different forms?

Who makes the thunder and sends the lightning storms?

Thinking cap, thinking cap, what are you thinking?

I think I’ll turn you off while you’re still blinking.

And when I find an answer, I’ll be sure to let you know. 

It seems like you only helped my question list to grow. 

 

Copyright 2014 Jennifer Waters


https://soundcloud.com/jen-waters/my-thinking-cap-spoken-word-narrated-by-jen-waters

No comments:

Post a Comment