Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Neighborhood Pet Store: The Story of Every Kind of Animal Known to Man

When I stop at the Neighborhood Pet Store,
I hold the hamsters, and then stay some more.
The fish in the pond are bright and wet,
But the parrots are the best things yet!
We have a chat, and they talk back.
They are bright orange and dark black.
As I look around the lively place,
I notice each animal has its space.
Mom said I could only have one pet.
I want to choose, and not regret.
I’ll take a cat, a raccoon, and a possum.
The three of them would be awesome!
A canary or a dove would be grand.
They almost make a pigeon seem bland.
Rabbits and guinea pigs are cute and soft,
But mice and rats should live in a loft!
A duck waddles left and then right,
While geese spread their wings in flight.
Pot-bellied pigs are good for a laugh,
Not nearly as thin as a tall giraffe.
Horses and goats belong in a barn.
Oh, what a tangled ball of yarn!
Lizards and snakes slither in the grass.
I’ll hide until the critters pass.
A gerbil is nice, a turtle might do,
But really what I’m wanting is you!
A cute little puppy with floppy ears.
Now everyone give hearty cheers!
You might be the runt of the litter,
But you’re the cutest with a little glitter.
I’ll rub my nose against your nose,
And buy you fancy doggy clothes.
I’ll build you your own canine house.
Maybe I should even buy you a spouse.
Dogs really are man’s best friend.
Their paws might even cause a trend.
Go visit The Neighborhood Pet Store!
Have fun and explore the place galore,
But in the end, I’ll always want the dogs.
Never toads, and never frogs!

Copyright 2016 Jennifer Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment